Some people use mashed potatoes also with other veggies, but i wanted to make it in a jiffy without pre-preparation. So it's a good choice for any unplanned snack option. Ok.. now lets move on to the recipe:
Servings: Makes 12-15 rolls
Carrot grated - 1/4 cup
Cabbage grated or finely chopped - 1/4 cup
Spinach chopped - 1/4 cup
Onion finely chopped - 1
Green chillies chopped - 2
(Add your own left out veggies from your fridge)
Chilli powder - 1 pinch (optional)
Corn flour - 1 tsp (optional)
Bread slices - 6
Oil to fry
1. Crumble your bread slices roughly with your hands. I used plain white bread, but you can use any bread available.
2. Add a tsp of water (very less but enough water to moist the bread pieces) and mash the bread pieces.
3. While mashing add all the veggies, chilli powder, corn flour and salt. Mix all of them and knead it into a dough. If the dough is little sticky because you added more water, add some more bread slices to make it soft and easy to knead.
4. Roll the dough into equal parts like rolls or make into any shape you like.
5. Heat the oil in a kadai/pan. When the oil is quite hot, drop in the rolls and keep the flame medium until your rolls become golden brown. Then again keep the flame high and drop in the next batch. Because the rolls would absorb lot of oil if fry them in low flame and it would not get cooked inside if you fry them in high flame. It's similar to frying gulab jamuns.
6. Serve hot with tomato sauce. They are no less than any chinese appetizer.
You can either shallow fry or deep fry these rolls. Deep frying takes lesser time and I found it not absorbing much oil.
It was really yummy and has all the veggies in it plus no potatoes... I'm bored of potatoes everywhere!!
I'm waiting to try it again :) Did u try this recipe? Let me know in the below comments.