The trick to get the nutty flavor is to use roasted gram flour in your marinade. Here you go with the complete recipe...
Serves - 4
For the marinade:
Butter/Ghee - 1 tbsp
Ajwain/Jeera - 1/4 tsp
Gram flour/Besan - 1/4 cup
(Heat the butter, add ajwain and then roast the gram flour well until you get a nutty flavor. You will get a paste like consistency)
Yogurt/thick curd - 1/2 cup
Ginger garlic paste - 2 tsp
Kashmiri Red Chilli powder - 1 tsp
(Kashmiri gives the nice color to your tikka, else you can use normal chilli powder)
Garam Masala - 1/2 tsp
Lemon juice - 1/2 lemon
Mustard Oil - 2 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
(If you do not have mustard oil, use mustard paste in any oil or just add a tsp of mustard)Onion cubed - 1 big
Onion cubed - 1 big
Capsicum cubed - 1 medium
Cottage Cheese/ Paneer cubed - 250-350 gm
Wooden skewers/ Steel skewers
1. Take 1 tbsp roasted besan/ gram flour paste in a bowl. Add the yogurt, chilli powder, ginger garlic paste, garam masala. Whisk all of them well.
2. Heat mustard oil in a tadka pan. When it heats up add turmeric powder and switch off. Or you can use any oil and add mustard paste or mustard seeds and let them crackle to get the nutty flavor in the tikka.
3. Add this oil to the marinade and beat well.
4. Add in the cubed paneer, onion and capsicum. Mix until they are nicely coated.
5. Keep the wooden skewers soaked in water for 15-20 mins. Or use steel skewers. Arrange the paneer and veggies on the skewers alternatively as shown in the pic. Refrigerate the skewers with paneer for about 30 mins atleast.
6. Pre-heat your oven to 225*C. Baste the marinade again on the skewers just before keeping them inside the oven. Arrange the skewers on the grill tray in the top slot. Check your oven guidelines.
7. Bake them in grill/broil mode at 225*C for 8 minutes. Open the oven and slightly turn over the skewers to cook evenly on all sides. And again bake in grill mode for another 5 minutes. Keep checking and don't let it burn too much. Slight burning may give a good smokey flavor.
Serve with lemon wedges and mint chutney.
Do try this recipe at home. If you don't have an oven, drizzle some oil on a pan and cook it on stove top.
Happy Cooking!! Learn something new everyday :)
Do like us on facebook and instagram for more updates.