I came across a classic Spritz cookies recipe and I knew for sure it would be awesome and melt in the mouth. But I wanted to make them healthy, so that me and my DH can indulge on them everyday without limits. Getting conscious of my calorie intake due to my baking craze at home! Wish I could bake and just sell them away for someone who would love to gobble them all happily. Done with giving them away to friends and families! Need some reward to my efforts :)
Ok.. lets get back to the Spritz cookies. I added Wheat and Ragi flour to add fibre. Retained some all purpose flour in the recipe, but you could choose to do it completely with Wheat or even use Almond flour if you get a hold of it.
Time - 1 hour
- Unsalted butter – 200 gms
- Icing sugar – 2/3 cup
- Egg – 1
- Vanilla extract – 1/2 teaspoon
- Almond Extract - 1/2 teaspoon (You can also use 1 tsp of vanilla instead)
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 teaspoon ( optional)
- All-purpose flour – 1 1/4 cup
- Wheat flour/ Atta - 1/2 cup
- Ragi flour - 1/2 cup
- Salt – 1/2 teaspoon
- Milk - 1 tbsp
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180*C. Sift together all the flour and salt. Keep aside.
2. Add the room temperature butter into a bowl and beat it for a couple of minutes until pale and fluffy.
3. Add the sugar and beat on medium high speed for 4-5 minutes, until the mixture becomes creamy and looks homogeneous. Creaming the butter and sugar is very important. You can overbeat at this stage.
4. Add one egg and beat until it is incorporated. Don't overbeat.
5. Add in the essences and cardamom powder if using. Just beat once until incorporated.
6. Add in the flour in two batches and just beat in slow speed until the flour gets mixed. No overmixing. Do it with hand if you are skeptical. This batter will be sticky. If it's too thick, add a tbsp of milk and mix well to pipe them.
7. Line a baking tray with a butter paper or silicon mat. You can refrigerate the dough for sometime and make shapes. Or just pour into a piping bag with a star nozzle, and pipe little flowers (spritz / squirts). These will not spread while baking, since we have not used any leavening agents like baking powder. If the dough looks too thin, refrigerate them for sometime. You can place chocolate chips or nuts in the center. Try with Jam filling. Or leave them simple, and you can add sprinkles on top after baking.
8. Bake them at 180*C for 12 - 14 mins. I took them out at 12 mins. Cool on a wire rack.
Tada! Melt in the mouth butter cookies are ready to gobble!
You can also dip each cookie into melted chocolate and sprinkle some sugar balls on top for kids.
Hope you liked my version of the healthy Spritz cookies.
Do try at home, comment below and post your photos on my facebook page: Click Here
Don't forget to follow me on instagram - @thekavicliving
And write emails to me to be my blogger friend :)