3 tbsp flour
11/2 tbsp cornflour
1 cup of ice cold water
1 tsp vegetable oil
Oil for deep-frying
2 bananas sliced diagonally
1/2 cup white sugar
black/white sesame seeds for topping
1. Mix the flour, cornflour, 1 tsp oil and little water to make a thick batter (thick enough to coat the banana slices)
2. Heat a deep pan with oil for deep frying. Have a cup of dry corn flour ready to dust the banana slices.
3. Coat the banana slices in the dry corn flour, then dip it into the mixed flour batter and deep fry it.
4. Repeat for other banana slices. Remove and strain on paper towel.
5. Meanwhile heat a pan and dry roast the sugar. The sugar melts and caramelizes. Don't over roast, it may taste bitter. Switch off when it melts and turns into golden brown color.
6. Keep a bowl of ice water ready. Then put the deep fried banana slices in the caramelized sugar, and turn them to coat well on all sides.
7. Pick them up with a tong one by one (Or a spoon would do) from the caramel and dip them immediately in ice cold water for 2 seconds. Take out and serve with white/black sesame seeds sprinkled on top.
It would be hard outside and soft inside. People who like toffees will like this dessert for sure. Best eaten with a dollop of ice cream. You can also watch the original video of the recipe here for step by step details: