I saw this recipe in Sharmi's Passions, to make kesari out of Aval/ flat rice. I just made a little changes in the procedure, used milk instead of water to make it super rich and ta da!! Made my anniversary special dessert for my hubby... in about half an hour. And it was too yummmy!! I can't forget the taste!
Now to the recipe for you:
Aval / Flat Rice/ Poha - 3/4 cup
Ghee - 3 + 1 tbsp
Sugar - 1/2 cup
Cashews - 1 tsp
Raisins - 1 tsp
Thick Milk - 1/2 cup
Water - 1/2 cup
Orange Food Color - a pinch
Saffron - 6-7 strands (Soaked in warm milk for 10 mins)
1. First wash the aval/ flat rice 2-3 times thoroughly to remove any impurities. Strain the water and leave it aside for 20 mins. It will absorb the water and get fluffy.
2. Heat a non-stick pan, add 1 tbsp of ghee and roast the cashews and raisin together. Remove them and keep it aside for garnishing.
3. In the remaining ghee, roast the soaked aval/ flat rice (add without water). Roast for 2 mins until the aroma rises and the color changes. You can also grind the soaked aval before roasting it, so that your kesari will be of smooth texture.
5. Add sugar, food color (mixed in a tsp of water) and saffron along with the soaked in milk. Mix thoroughly and let the mix become thick.
7. Switch off and serve with the fried cashews and raisins. Yummy :)
Do Like us on Facebook if you haven't liked us yet :)
We assure you a daily cup of creativity and inspiration for a happy living!!