In this post let's see how to make pita breads at home. I will link to another post for the hummus recipe.
Use instant yeast and proof it in warm water and some sugar for 5 mins before use. It has to bubble up, I still need to get used to using yeast effectively. My dough did not double up so much, but yet the pita breads were so soft and fluffy.
So enjoy making pita breads at home.
Maida - 3 cups
Yeast - 1 1/2 tsp dissolved in 1 cup water with 1 tsp sugar
Olive oil - 7 tbsp
Salt to taste
1. Soft the flour well with salt in a wide plate or bowl.
2. Add in the egg and oil. Mix the dough by adding the yeast water little by little. The dough will be sticky but once you knead it for 5 minutes, it will come together and become soft.
3. Spread some oil in a bowl, place the dough and cover with a tea towel or cling wrap. Keep it in a warm place, so that it will rise and double up in 2-4 hours. I kept it only for 2 hrs and still it came out well.
4. Divide into balls as shown and keep aside. Take one and start rolling it into flat round shaped similar to roti about 5-6" diameter. Flour the surface with maida before rolling, so that it doesn't stick. Keep the rolled dough on a plate or paper. Roll the other balls one by one.
5. Now the first one would have risen a bit more time. Heat a tawa on medium flame and place the pita. Let it cook and puff up completely on one side. Then flip it to otherwise and cook till golden spots appear. Remove and serve hot.
6. Cut them into halves or quarter. Fill the pockets with crunchy onions, lettuce, creamy hummus or Mayo, and some chicken or falafel. Scrumptious dinner or meal ready :)